Thursday, 9 January 2014

Favourite 13 Products of 2013


Friends, when a girl falls off the blogging bandwagon, she falls off the blogging bandwagon. Her cosy place on the internet tumbles off the metaphorical cliff into the deep and torrent sea of Un-Updated Blogs, a place where stale Xanga websites and abandoned Google Friend Connect widgets are found. 

Here's to hoping I don't commit another disappearing act again any time soon. After the Great European Trip of 2013(!), I feel re-inspired and reinvigorated to post on my blog again. And Lord knows I picked up enough blogging material (ahem) to write about as I braced the Wintery cold Europe offered the girl from sunny Australia. 

Without further adieu, I have 13 favourite products of 2013. I hope picking favourites amongst children isn't like picking my top 13 products of last year, because this was easy



FACE BASE AND CHEEKS
I thought I would expand out of the Skin79 BB Cream (pink bottle) craze in the middle of last year and ventured out and bought Missha M Signature Real Complete BB Cream in shade #23 Natural Beige. Another purchase based off the recommendations on Makeup Alley, this one has less of a grey tint and has slightly better oil control than the Skin79 offering. I haven't found my perfect BB cream/tinted moisturiser yet, but this one was definitely my favourite in 2013. 

I stopped buying concealers that were one shade lighter last year and found that ones that matched my skintone appeared much more natural. I stayed loyal to the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer in shade Soft Beige. It does exactly what it says; with this medium-coverage concealer under my eyes I look less tired and much more awake. 

I love blush that you can quickly swipe on without thinking about it. NARS Blush in Luster and the MAC Mineralised Blush in Warm Soul fit the bill perfectly. 


EYES AND LIPS
Japanese people are crazy innovative. And it doesn't stop at fancy toilets and motor vehicles either; K-Palette One Day Tattoo Real Lasting 24 Hour Liquid Eyeliner and Kiss Me Heroine Make Long and Curl Mascara both made it to my list. The K-Palette eyeliner's felt-tip like structure makes drawing a line as easy as it gets, perfect for people lacking hand-eye coordination skills such as myself. The Kiss Me Heroine Make mascara on the other hand is excellent at lengthening, separating and curling the downward-pointing Asian lashes of mine. 

A non-makeuppy person perhaps might (read: would) say that I own one too many lip products, and I would agree probably without hesitation (clearly past the stage of denial by now). But there's always a select few I tend to use a lot more frequently than the rest. My Revlon Lip Butters and Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains would definitely fit into this category. My favourite shades of the easy-to-wear Revlon Lip Butters are Sweet Tart and Raspberry Pie, the latter of which I often pat on because the colour is intense. Candy Apple is probably the easiest red to wear, and also the only red I've been brave enough to wear in 2013. I've used a few different lip crayons but the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains can't be beat. Shades Sweetheart and Smitten are ones I've been favouring recently; again I mostly dab them on and spread them out using a finger and I find that  the colour remains for most of the day. 


SKINCARE AND HAIRCARE
2013 was the year I became more invested in the condition of my skin, to be honest. I'd graduated from using Neutrogena and Clean and Clear a long time ago, but for the most part mainly still used whatever was convenient until 2013. 

I picked up Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish from a Boots in London at the beginning of December last month and there's no turning back. Best cleanser I've ever used, hands down. It's not locally available to me in Perth but I'm considering paying the 15 pounds shipping the Liz Earle website requests just so I can keep continuing using it. That's a big deal for me given I usually recoil in disgust at exorbitant shipping fees, but I don't want to stop cleansing and polishing. I'm sure I annoyed my best friends in our hotel room in Amsterdam when I first tried this out and demanded that they feel my face; the smoothness of my skin just had to be well documented, guys! 

Two other skincare products also deserve the same love and recognition. Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturising Lotion is a cult product in Asia, reportedly sold once every 4 seconds in Japan. Packed with three types of hyaluronic acid, I apply this serum (the world lotion is used differently in Japan) every night after cleansing and no other product has made my skin as silky soft, bouncy and well hydrated. The hype is real. I've talked about La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo before in this post here so I will keep it short; it's a staple that takes care/gets rid of annoying blemishes that haven't yet ripened (best use of imagery ever) almost overnight. 

Lastly are two products that I've repurchased and will continue repurchasing. Biore UV Perfect Face Milk SPF 50+ is my sunscreen essential. Although it might not be appropriate for dry/sensitive skins,  my oily skin responds to it well and it does not make me feel greasy at all. I've gone through countless bottles of the L'Oreal Elvive Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum and it's probably the only hair product I use regularly besides shampoo and conditioner. I think you can tell I'm not a hair person at all. 

Do you have 2013 favourites? Link me below! 

24 comments:

  1. awesome favourites Michelle, and I must say I am loving your blog design! Did you do it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I did do the blog design myself; the layout is simple but I took liberty with the coding. x

      Delete
  2. darling we have boots here, would u like anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Japanese really know their beauty stuff! Great post Michelle! :) xx

    letsrunawayx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. And they really do, I am definitely going to be trying more Japanese/Korean products in the future. x

      Delete
  4. Great post! I'm glad to see I picked up quite a few of your faves in my last haul from Hong Kong! Haven't used the mascara yet but I'm excited to! I'm absolutely loving the sunscreen! I did my 2013 faves here :)

    Tashi // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunscreen is great for combination/oily skin. It's getting hot here in my part of Australia too, so it is a MUST. Will check out your post now. x

      Delete
  5. You're back!!! The packaging of that BB cream is just gorgeous...I think if I owned that I would choose it as a favourite for the packaging alone! Lovely choices for the lip products. The Revlon Kissable Balm stains were also a favourite of mine for 2013, with Romantic being my top choice. I also like the Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie. Your new blog design is so clean and eye catching, I am huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the packaging is gorgeous but can be inconvenient; it isn't in a squeezable tube so I can't use it all up. Funnily enough, I have neither Romantic or Berry Smoothie and I don't think I can warrant another purchase with the amount I currently have. And thank you. :) x

      Delete
  6. Great picks, quite a few actually are also on my holy grail list such as the K paletter eyeliner, KMH mascara and those lip butters! I want to use and get into more skin care products this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting into skincare really did improve the condition of my skin quite tremendously but it did nothing for my bank account. Haha, be warned! x

      Delete
  7. HELLO MICH! I missed you! I should revisit my bottle of Hada Labo SHA Lotion- I didn't think of using it as a serum, but I might just do so tonight! And at this rate I've got to give Liz Earle C&P a go because I'm using the REN ClearCalm 3 Clay cleanser atm and I'm not wowed. I'm so glad you posted again- I can trust your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that the Hada Labo SHA lotion was supposed to be equivalent to a toner. It is in the sense that it's supposed to come after cleansing, but it doesn't have the same actions as a regular toner in the Western market does. That's why I've called it a serum, it has that consistency and hydrates my skin to the max!

      Do try Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish a go if you can get your hands on it. Unavailable on the Australian market at present. :(

      And aw thank you, the feeling is mutual buddy. :) x

      Delete
  8. I use the Hada Lobo everynight aswell, such an amazing product! I kind of wish Australia sold more asian cosmetic and skincare brands more. People are missing out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the Hada Labo SHA lotion will be in my skincare routine for a long while. There are so many gems in the Asian market, Australians are definitely missing out. x

      Delete
  9. Welcome back!!! ^_^ I, too, LOVE the Hada Labo moisturizer! I use it every night. I also have the toner as well, but it's not as good as the lotion. I love the biore sunscreen too. It's part of my daily staple to get my butt out the door to work. Asians have come up with such incredible skincare, it's hard to try anything else! =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought Hada Labo SHA lotion was a bit of an obscure product! :P That's very true, most of my skincare now consists of Asian and French brands. x

      Delete
  10. I love the lip butters and I reeeeally want to add warm soul to my blush collection, it looks stunning! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great blush for every day. :) x

      Delete
  11. Love the blog design, hun!
    And your 2013 faves are great - that MAC blush looks divine! I've done a post on faves in 2013, too, so feel free to check it out when you get a chance :) xx



    Ms Jelena xx | http://ms-jelena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I'll be sure to check yours out now. x

      Delete
  12. Welcome back!
    We share some of the favorites, I see!
    I love Revlon Balm Stain in Smitten (favorite berry color!) and the Biore sunscreen is my HG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm such a massive fan of NARS Luster. It's such a beautiful, wearable blush xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm so impressed when I see people's favorite. I cannot even remember what I used last month... hehe~ :X

    ReplyDelete