Monday, 27 January 2014

Europe Beauty Haul


In Europe at the end of last year, my friends and I became Yes Men about every possible opportunity that flitted our way. YOLO and 'no regerts' were the unofficial mottos of our far-away adventure. This was, of course, after we'd regretfully decided not to enter Christ Church College  in Oxford when it was the only attraction my friends and I had on our itinerary for our lovely day there. 

Yes was my answer for everything else that followed. 500 steps to get to the top of the cupola/dome? No problem. Gelato four days in a row? Yes, I do quite enjoy the taste of calorie-laden heaven. So I think you can guess what happened when I encountered makeup and skincare brands not easily accessible back home. Aw, yiss.



London was our first stop. The drugstore Boots became a running joke because I wanted to enter the chain so often; my best friends would eventually start pointing them out to me every time they spotted one. I dropped Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover and Bourjois Cream Blush in 01 Nude Velvet into my Boots basket, releases that aren't available in Australia yet. Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in Medium 03, Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in Cherry Me and Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge also made its way with me home from the UK. A Glamour magazine I purchased came with a 3 pound gift card for The Body Shop which made The Body Shop Born Lippy Lip Balm in Passionberry free. 


I calmed down in Amsterdam and France and only picked up the Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector in 01 Rose Shimmer at Sephora. It also came with a mini Clarins Instant Definition mascara in a small makeup bag. I went a bit crazy at City Pharma in Paris but I think I will save that for another post... 


The only thing I intended to buy in Italy was something from Kiko, an Italian makeup brand that is lauded for both its affordability and quality. I purchased Kiko's Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06 Golden Brown after reading Lena's review of it. On our last day in Rome we travelled to a massive open-air market that had an abundance of repetitive flea-market gear. I came across a stall that sold brand new cosmetics for 3 euro each so bought a few things (y'know, to spend leftover euro on the last day of our holiday :P). I picked out Korres Powder Blush in Orange Brown, Laura Geller Blush n Brighten in Tartufo, Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in 15 Pink and Bourjois Effet 3D Max Lip Gloss in 067.


Spending 7 hours in transit at Doha airport without buying anything from duty-free would be a form of divine intervention. That did not occur. Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Foundation in 20 Beige and Chanel Poudre Universelle Compacte in 30 Naturel (Translucent 2) were bought for significantly cheaper than Australian RRP. I swear there was nothing to do in Doha airport besides to shop. ;) 

MICHELLE

32 comments:

  1. Very jelly! 3 euro for those high end brands is ah-mazing! I get you on that aw yiss feeling haha <- every time I saw a Sasa ;)

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Sasa is a treasure trove. That aw yiss feeling came over me when I was at that market in Rome. x

      Delete
  2. they have boots here, do you want anything darl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I hauled a few of the same things as you when I was in Europe too :) I love, love, love the KIKO Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadows that after buying and trying one in Portugal, I had to find more in Germany and got two more ^^ In Amsterdam, a really great drugstore brand is Catrice that is really inexpensive but has amazing lippies and blushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, funny that you see this actually because I did have a look at your post before I went on holiday! I think you may have influenced my decisions. ;) I was intending to buy some Catrice blushes but I wasn't in a shopping mood in Amsterdam, bah! x

      Delete
  4. I hear in Australia you have the same problem as we do in Brazil with cosmetics being marked way up. Moving to England was like arriving in cosmetics heaven for me. hahaha xx

    www.ferdies-place.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is much more expensive than the UK and US! I'm surprised at how cheap cosmetics are over there. x

      Delete
  5. Lovely haul!!! Money well spent. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great haul!! you must have a lot of fun in Europe! you didn't visit Germany??
    high end make up at duty free is a must since they're usually way cheaper ^^
    can't wait for the upcoming reviews :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't fit Germany into the itinerary, unfortunately. :( It's definitely on my 'to go' list though, especially Berlin! x

      Delete
  7. Lol I probably went into 95% of the Boots I encountered - gosh I really feel sorry for my travelmate who has reason to believe in my insanity. Your haul is positively restrained in my book :p I got the Collection concealer as well but I think I bought a shade too light ... hence I don't really use it since I don't bother with highlighting concealers - I mainly only use them to try to hide blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, less restrained than yours though! My best friends were really understanding about the whole ordeal. ;) I am the same with my concealers, I don't think I like it when the concealer is too obviously light. x

      Delete
  8. Ahhh so jealous you went to Europe. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Bourjois nail polish remover, heard raves about it! Would also love to see some travel posts of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Bourjois nail polish remover! Makes such a boring task easy. :P I was thinking of writing some travel posts but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested; I think I will now though. :) x

      Delete
    2. Hope you come back to blogging soon! I also just tagged you in my most recent post! xxx

      http://www.suelovexx.com/

      Delete
  9. It's always so much fun to go makeup shopping in different countries. How amazing is sephora! I wish we had the bourjois nail polish remover is Aus, it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sephora is certainly amazing, it's so convenient to have so many loved brands in one store. Plus it always seems so busy there's less chance of saleswomen harassing you when you just want to browse. :P x

      Delete
  10. Seems like you scored a lot of amazing products ! x
    www.amoreforfashion-EN.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome haul! I always seem to shop the most in international airports... I think it's because I feel like I'm on holiday, so that justifies my spending! :P

    x
    Phoebe
    Eat. Live. Love. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice haul! I wish they had duty-free here. If they do, I don't know about it... hehe~ :X

    http://ahleessa4realz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am the exact same anytime I head overseas, but I probably would have picked up more than you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice haul! so jealous you were able to get kiko

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great haul! I want to try the Bourjois nail remover. Sounds like magic to me :) Have heard so much about how great Laura Gellar products. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sephora, please come to Australia :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant blog, great posts and beautiful proprietress! What to want more ...
    I follow you right now (on bloglovin + GFC) and welcome to visit my
    blog about fashion .



    Regards,
    Katherine Unique


    ReplyDelete
  18. So many lovely purchases! I really love the Clarins Lip Perfectors <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow great haul! it's always neat to get makeup from other areas in the world.

    Would appreciate if you checked out my blog
    notanobession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Europe is amazing, I went for a month touring around the continent like two years ago, but alas, I wasn't really into beauty and makeup products back then, and hence didn't take advantage of the buying opportunity like you did recently haha. I read in one of your comments above that you were thinking of writing a few posts about your travels; I think you should definitely do it! It's always interesting and refreshing to read personal posts once in a while :)

    ♥ Michelle/MICHALOGY

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those two Chanel products have always been in my wishlist! :) Cant wait to hear your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete