Monday, 22 July 2013

French Pharmacy Classics: Thoughts on the Three Most Popular Products


French women have a great reputation for their minimalistic, sophisticated approach. What comes to mind is spotless near-bare skin, perfectly polished talons and breton stripes of various widths. I think this romanticised version of the French has catapulted French skincare to new heights; ladies everywhere are clamouring for anything that will imitate the carefree no-fuss beauty of Vanessa Paradis in the Chanel advert (and perhaps some of us are also dreaming of snagging her ex Johnny Depp?) 

Amongst bloggers, the three (arguably) most popular products in the French pharmacy (or pharmacie if you want to be particular) are Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micelle Solution, La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo (which I've done a full review on here) and Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip Balm. 

Now, do the big three live up to the hype? 



Let's start with the most obvious. My full review of La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo has already revealed my general sentiment for the product. If we're going to speak in repurchasing terms, let's just say I'm nearly finished with my second tube and I'd no doubt hand over my money for a third. I apply it every night on my T-zone after rosehip oil, with a hardier moisturiser reserved for my cheeks. My skin has improved immensely with it's use; little spots disappear almost overnight from my T-zone leaving a smooth canvas. Don't expect it to clear up large blemishes with cysts or nodules (yes, being a teenager is so much fun) easily/quickly though. You'll need to pull out the big guns for that.

To be honest, I didn't expect to fall in love with Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution but I was curious about its mystical Shamwow-like properties so I purchased a mini-sized bottle. This one has definitely exceeded my expectations. I know it's a big call, but I think it's just as revolutionary to the cleaning world as Shamwow was, minus the cheesy infomercial and 1800 number. Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micelle Solution is hands-down the best face makeup remover I have ever used. Coupled with a few makeup remover pads, it removes all traces of base makeup with little effort. It isn't as effective in removing mascara or eyeliner, so reserve this expensive magic water for face makeup only. 

There is very little in this world I strongly dislike more than artificial orange scents. Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip Balm has an artificial orange scent - I knew we wouldn't get along well after the first whiff. I think I will stick with Carmex in the future; much cheaper and repairs my chapped lips a lot faster. 


2 out of 3 isn't a bad statistic at all. Is there anything else from the French pharmacy I should try out? 

32 comments:

  1. I was tempted by the Nuxe lip balm but I thought ... how good could it possibly be? I decided I'd rather fork out $20 for 10 $2 Maybelline Baby Lips and left it at that :p I do love Bioderma though - it really proves its worth when you rely on it to be gentle but effective. I never get any irritation from using it and I love how it's just like water. I've been getting weird breakouts on the lower half of my face (boo!) so I think I'll be giving the Effaclar Duo another go ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give Effaclar Duo another go. I only apply it at night on my major problem area. Consistency is key! :) x

      Delete
  2. I'm the same- I had such high hopes (sing with me, hi-i-igh hopes) for the NUXE Reve de Miel but the orange scent swiftly guillotined that thought. I'm rainchecking the Bioderma for another day, the Dove Foaming MU Remover and the Garnier 2-1 is doing me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same before I bought Bioderma into my life. It will change yours. ;) x

      Delete
  3. I have Bioderma Crealine and find it removes eye makeup really well! In face I reserve it just for eye makeup haha not sure about the Sensibio though!
    My friend got me the Nuxe lip balm from France and loves it but I haven't tried it yet as I'm still using up my Dior one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need something heavy duty to remove my waterproof mascara otherwise it won't budge! Let us know what you think of the Nuxe lip balm. :) x

      Delete
  4. Nice blog!!! love it!

    http://sweetcherryblogger.blogspot.de/2013/07/ethnic-faces-print.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My exposure to French beauty/skincare products has been quite limited.
    However, after reading your review on the Effaclar Duo, I don't think I can pass up on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great product, I hope it works for you too. x

      Delete
  6. I love your honest review.
    I want to try the Bioderma.
    I wish it was found more easily here (US)

    Velia | Cocoamourr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're slowly bringing it out to more countries so we shouldn't be waiting too long. :) x

      Delete
  7. Not sure where I can find the Bioderma from where I live, but I've heard endless good thoughts about it. Too bad it doesn't remove waterproof eye makeup. I'm currently having small bumps along my forehead so the La Roche Posay Effaclar should come in handy but haven't gotten my hands on it yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works out for you as it did for me. :) Can't wait to see what you think :D x

      Delete
  8. Hmm. I've always had my eye on Bioderma because every single review I've read said it was great for removing any type of make-up product. Foundations, lipsticks and even waterproof mascara. So reading your experience with it, how it doesn't remove eye make-up as effectively as base products has split my opinion about it. I guess I'll just have to further look into it before investing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say though, the mascara I use has a reputation for being difficult to remove! So I don't blame Bioderma for that. :) You should give it a go, I love it. x

      Delete
  9. I love both my Bioderma micellar water and Effaclar Duo! I haven't tried the Nuxe lip balm yet but after reading that it has an artificial orange-y scent I don't think I'd wanna give it a go anymore....

    http://itsjessicachoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to have a honey scent (and I love honey scents) but I seriously smell orange/mandarin! If you get a chance, smell it in store before you buy it and see if you like it. :) x

      Delete
  10. It's a shame about the balm but I suppose if you can get a better product cheaper then that's definetely the best option :) I really like the sound of the bioderma make up remover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely nice finding a product you prefer that is cheaper than the alternative! x

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post...I really like your pretty blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Effaclar Duo is just the bomb for the general state of my skin, I've finished my tube and my face is really missing it :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this honest review! You are right two out of three ain't bad! I hate fake orange smells too!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey hey loveee makeup!!
    First time visiting your lovely space and I'm already "addicted" girl your layout is amazing!! Keep going with this amazing job!! :)

    With love, Bárbara
    www.preppylemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you ever in need for a certain French skincare product, check out my website! I stock many cult favorites, all at competitive pricing and worldwide shipping!
    I'd love if you came by and had a look~

    www.frenchcares.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a shame that you didn't fall in love with the lip balm butI understand because I'm fussy with scents as well :)

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you visit my blog at: http://musthavethisspring.blogspot.com.au/ I have done a post on where you can get french skincare for much less than the huge mark up that exists here in Australia. Bioderma's whole range is there too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts.
    Travesti

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like these kind of posts! Great to know that bioderma really works. What's the difference between the cleaning water and makeup remover though?!

    Love your blog :)
    Would appreciate if you checked out mine
    notanobession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      The given information is very effective.
      I'll keep update with the same.
      albania real estate for sale

      Delete
  20. I do adore the La Roche Posay Effaclar but I can't say the same about Bioderma! I wish I could love it but I think since I wear the Inglot Gel Liners which are notoriously difficult to take off, it didn't quite do the job for me :(

    x
    Phoebe
    www.eatliveloverepeat.com

    ReplyDelete